You wont believe how easy and DELICIOUS homemade eggnog is, and this recipe really is the best! Thick and creamy with the perfect mild flavor and hint of nutmeg. You’ll never buy store-bought eggnog again!
- 12 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups whole milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Additional nutmeg, optional
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 4 cups milk; cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°-170°, 30-35 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring until milk mixture is cool. (If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth.) Refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 3 hours.
- To serve, beat cream until soft peaks form. Whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. If desired, sprinkle with additional nutmeg before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Eggnog may be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for several days. Whisk it before serving.
- If you’re entertaining the 21-and-over crowd, spike this easy eggnog recipe with bourbon or dark rum.
Nutrition Facts (1 cup):
- 411 calories
- 25g fat (14g saturated fat)
- 247mg cholesterol
- 251mg sodium
- 35g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 0 fiber)
- 13g protein.
Originally published as Homemade Eggnog in Taste of Home December/January 1997